“Education for Sustainability”
TYPE OF TRAINING ACTIVITY
Erasmus + programme. Key Action 101 and Key Action 104
This training is organized as an international course under the title “Education for Sustainability” is still a live innovation at schools, although the Education for Sustainability (ESD) has taken over. Under the light of the UN Decade for ESD, Educ. for Sustainability has a new momentum and a second chance to flourish at schools. Our structured course Education for Sustainability is here to bridge Environmental Education and ESD, focusing on the three key elements of environmental education skills – personal, social and environmental.
It aims at preparing teachers to introduce and integrate Environmental Education in the mainstream school curriculum, while, at the same time, offering hands on learning experience in special settings and outdoor environments. Environmental Education is central to the efforts of all schools to responds to the claim for Sustainable Development.
Through a combination of lectures, seminars and practical activities in the field, you will examine the critical relationship between outdoor, environmental education and sustainability, and a range of other subject areas, as well as the particular requirements for teaching these in a variety of settings, from schools, environmental education centers and natural settings.
The course is structured on three different modules
A. A brief history of Environmental Education and Education for Sustainability and the changes it has brought about at the educational systems all over the world;
B. The methodologies and strategies used in Education for Sustainability;
C. Practicing Education for Sustainability in a variety of settings.
The training course is designed as a residential seminar for 6 days in Athens (Greece).
It is open to education staff, principals and vice-principals, school educators of schools, adult education professionals and school stakeholders in general.
This course employs a variety of teaching-learning approaches and methods. There is a mix of workshops, with presentations and lectures, self and team reflection, pair work, small group activities, peer teaching sessions, case studies, and particularly field visits and field work. The field work will influence the overall outcome of the course. The participants will be provided with a PDF document about Education for Sustainability at the beginning of the course.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO ACQUIRE
Participants are expected to acquire the following, attending the course:
- Short history of the Environmental Education/Educ for Sustainabilty Worldwide, in Europe and in Greece
- The schope, the objectives, the values and the guiding principles of Educ for Sustainability
- Different aspects of the Education for Sustainability
- Education for Sustainability through the curriculum, through extracuricular projects and outdoors
- Activities for the classroom and outdoors for Educ for Sustainability.
- Setting, running, presenting and evaluating an E. f S. project
- Improving students performance through the improvement of their collaboration abilities
- Improving self esteem through the interaction with students
- Creation of new learning activities for the classrooma and outdoors
- Guiding a team of students throughout an environm. educ. project
· Education for Sustainability
· Environmental Education
· The school as a learning organization
· Global Education
· Pedagogy and didactics
· Active Citizenship
EDUCATIONAL SECTOR OF THE PARTICIPANTS
· Pre-Primary Education
· Primary Education
· Lower-Upper General Secondary Education
· Vocational/Technical Secondary Education
· Special Education
· Head Teachers/School Principals
· Teachers (primary and secondary)
· Teacher trainers
· Education counselors
· School Inspectors
· Parents’ associations’ members
· Local Government officials
The participants will receive suggestions for reading material in order to prepare for the course well in advance. Visiting the webpage www.aeiforum.eu where much of relevant information is available is highly recommended.
The participants will be asked to fill in a special questionnaire about their training needs before the course. They will also be asked to prepare a presentation about their school’s daily operation and their country.
By the end of the course participants are asked to reflect on their learning experience and report accordingly. They will also be asked to fill in an evaluation questionnaire about the fulfillment of their expectations.
Each group will decide to create a FB group, or subscribe to Linkedin or SKYPE, in order to maintain communication and exchange ideas.
A special networking session will take place at the end of the course.
At the website www.aeiforum.eu the participants will have the opportunity to submit their ideas, share their experience and suggest new ideas.